Monday, March 2, 2009

The Lord accepts our best efforts

In my Doctrine and Covenants class this past week, we read and discussed section 124 of Doctrine and Covenants (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/124). Part of our classroom discussion was about the many commandments given by the Lord to his prophet Joseph as well as the opposition which prevented Joseph and the other members of the church (persecutions, lack of government protection, etc) from fulfilling these assignments given to them. I really appreciate verse 49 in which the Lord gives some very comforting words:
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings."
I know that our Heavenly Father has blessed me with many talents and gifts and resources to do many good things. But I also know that sometimes circumstances prevent me from accomplishing all the good I could potentially do. It is comforting to me to know that the Lord will accept my efforts nonetheless and that he is realistic in his divine expectations, even though such a concept might seem like a bit of a paradox or oxy-moron: realistic divine expectations.

The prophet Joseph Smith was given a great many things to do, but I have come to recognize that his mission wasn't to complete the preparation of the whole earth for Christ's second coming; rather, I believe that Joseph Smith was called to begin the preparation of the earth for Christ's second coming by restoring such things as the priesthood (see http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&index=16&sourceId=ab839daac5d98010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____) (Sorry for the super long link, but its worth it!) as well as translating the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ to help all of God's children come to a better knowledge of Jesus and his saving gospel. Joseph did a great deal to ensure that the progress of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints even after he was no longer around. I know that Christ is the head of the church restored, and that God called Joseph Smith to be an insrument in His hands to do a great work that continues today! If you want to know more about this continuing marvelous work, please visit www.mormon.org or any of the links I have provided above.

No comments:

Post a Comment