Friday, January 30, 2009

That Justice may prevail

This past week in my Doctrine and Covenants class (I'm a student at BYU or Brigham Young University where we are able to take classes about religious subjects) one comment was made that I paid particular attention to; (I paraphrase) "God allows mankind to commit sins, even to the detriment of others, so that His judgments of them and their punishment are just." I want to discuss a topic which is a bit of a side-step from this statement but which I thought of in response. I have come to appreciate this week the amazing principle and truth that God allows. As was hinted at in my first blog post, my life has taken an unexpected turn in the recent weeks. I have had placed before me a weighty, crucially important decision that could truly determine so much of my future and my relationship with my Heavenly Father. As I went about seeking guidance from peers, trusted friends, parents, and inspiration through prayer, the clear-cut, easily-recognized answer I was hoping for never opened before me. I felt so weighed down by the weight of this situation and decision, wondering how and/or when God would reveal to me the path to take. Never happened.
And yet just a couple of nights ago, I was blessed with profound peace as I made a decision. I didn't make this decision because I God told me to, but rather because God allowed me to. He trusts me enough to examine a decision, do everything I can to seek his will, then decide based on what I feel would be best. I have struggled for so long to understand how great the trust is that Heavenly Father has in me, I was resistent to the idea that I am a capable individual with mental capacities to help guide and direct me. Now this brings me to an important point; I do believe that God can, and often does, provide specific guidance to do certain things, and I also believe that whenever He leaves a decision for us to make even after we have done all we could to seek His will, He will always protect us from going too far down a wrong path. This is taught beautifully by Elder Richard G. Scott (one of the 12 apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormon church);
"What do you do when you have prepared carefully, have prayed fervently, waited a reasonable time for a response, and still do not feel an answer? You may want to express thanks when that occurs, for it is an evidence of His trust. When you are living worthily and your choice is consistent with the Savior’s teachings and you need to act, proceed with trust. As you are sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit, one of two things will certainly occur at the appropriate time: either the stupor of thought will come, indicating an improper choice, or the peace or the burning in the bosom will be felt, confirming that your choice was correct. When you are living righteously and are acting with trust, God will not let you proceed too far without a warning impression if you have made the wrong decision." (http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=bf2eb5658af22110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1)

I am thankful that God allows; He allows us to make our own decisions because He trusts us and our ability to do good. I am also thankful to know that Jesus Christ has paid the price for my sins so that I can repent and be forgiven for those mistakes I have made after making a wrong choice. God is just. But just as important is that God is merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment